Information technology is key part of the present world and Nigeria like most developing countries is lacking in this regard. Between 1948 till date information technology have recorded milestones in its usage in Nigeria. There is been a slow slow industrial growth with the usage of computers of the decades, yet the growth is minimal compared to size of the nation. Centers designated for information technology research are either not adequately funded and equipped or they are mismanaged. Solid resource and research base is vital to national development.
Telecommunication in Nigeria is doing well but the information base requires a lot of funding, management and funding. Nigeria imports all its information technology equipment, and this affects the cost and affordability of these equipment.
Low level of IT in Nigeria has affected areas like education, health care, disaster preparedness and management, law enforcement, corruption and so forth.
Nigeria needs to take strategic position in the midst of the emerging digital revolution as it is vital for the nation’s development. Nigeria is yet to make average use of the benefits of the internet as even the schools are poorly equipped to train the students on the facets of information technology and how to apply them to real life scenarios.
There are some tech startups already carving out a space for themselves in the sector, ready to deliver the much-needed information technology products and services. Most Nigerians cannot afford the cost of getting educated in information technology and opportunities to use the IT is perverted by some individuals limiting the availability of quality information. Sound information technology will impact the nation’s economy in all areas - economy, education, health care and so forth.
ITND specialist group will focus on coordinating and regulating information using modern technology to achieve national development.
To increase the adoption of information technology for national development.
1. To improve the availability of quality information and information security.
2. To serve as an advisory committee towards the provision of job and employment opportunities especially in software development, computer engineering, web design and web development.
3. To review and assess the current state of information technology and encourage adoption of e-commerce at conferences and seminars.
4. To increase transparency and accountability in governance through e-governance and solid public relations.
5. To improve business management and growth through the adoption of IT tools like automation.
6. To organize conferences and seminars aimed at improving information technology.
All registered members of and are open to join this specialist group especially those
skilled and knowledgeable in information technology and digital use.